brand new by the way

In December 2005 I left my job as a software developer...In January I will be going to Thailand to do some voluntary work at an orphanage for disabled children (see ccd/For Life links)...here are some of my thoughts and experiences...

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Back from outer space

It's the news you've all been waiting for...Rachawadee Lady Boys went ahead as planned and I, "Paula" took a full part. Everything went as well as we could have hoped...we were on stage first, so when we came out everyone was sitting down and it was the first they had seen of us dressed as women (it was all a big secret) - we got an amazing response and I think they all loved the dance as well...in fact when everyone had finished we had to do an encore and we were each interviewed on stage...when asked how I felt about doing the performance I said "natural"...apparently loads of the Thai staff think I'm gay now!

Anyway, you don't really care about any of that do you? You just want to see the pictures so here they are:






After the camp a few of us stayed on in Hua-Hin which is a beach resort popular with Thais (mainly because it hasn't been completely overrun by Farangs)...it's probably the equivalent of Weston-Super-Mare in the UK apart from the fact that it's nothing like it! It was very nice to chill out for a few days on the beach...there are probably nicer resorts in Thailand but I liked the fact that there were a lot of Thais there...

It's interesting to see how they are at the beach...here it is unfashionable to be brown (so I'm really in!). I think this is because they are influenced by western culture but also because the people here who are very brown are the poor people who have to work outside...so anyway, the busiest time on the beach was about 5:30 in the evening when the sun was going down - just as the (sun-burnt) foreigners were heading back to their hotels for a shower the Thais were streaming onto the beach in their hundreds!

It was nice to get back to work on Monday after having a whole week off - I got the impression that the guys were pretty pleased to see us as well...By the way, I have a plan to spend some of the money we've raised from the paintings (which is a hell of a lot so thanks very much to everyone who has made a donation)...I have to seek permission tomorrow from the director of the charity as it will involve taking some guys out of the orphanage for a couple of days - I'll give you the full details when (hopefully) everything is sorted.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What kinda woman are you Paula? Could you not have put on a bit of fake tan for the evening....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home