brand new by the way

In December 2005 I left my job as a software developer...In January I will be going to Thailand to do some voluntary work at an orphanage for disabled children (see ccd/For Life links)...here are some of my thoughts and experiences...

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

World Cup fever

This weekend was an important time in Thailand - they were celebrating 60 years since the King's coronation, apparently he's the longest serving monarch in the world. Anyway, we got 3 days off of work, 1 of which was only announced the week before (they do that in Thailand), and there was loads of stuff going on as part of the festivities.

They really do love the King out here, and it's not just because they have to. He has actually been really good and has done a lot for the poorer members of the community...

Everyone, and I mean everyone, has been wearing yellow T-shirts with "We love the King" written on them...so of course I've got one too - it turns out that it was a good investment, I've had plenty of positive comments and favourable treatment!

This weekend was also important of course because it was the start of the World Cup...I've been feeling pretty tired staying up to the early hours to watch some of the games...haven't managed to watch any of the 2am kick offs yet - that will change though...

Everything started so well...I found out that every match was being shown on terrestrial television, I got the TV working at home and when the first match was broadcast on every channel I thought nothing could go wrong...well, as it turned out - I was wrong!

You see, there's been a bit of clash of celebrations going on...unfortunately they've decided that at 8 o'clock (which is the time here for 2pm games back home), for at least half an hour, everyone in the country would rather watch replays of members of the Thai royal family meeting minor members of other royal families at the airport and other such riveting stuff...

I mean, I understand that it's an important time for Thailand and I've got nothing against His Royal Highness King Bhumibol (especially if there are any of those good people from the Thai police force reading this - as I am aware that it is illegal to criticise the King - did I mention that I think he's great btw?) I've even got a T-shirt that says I love him...and I've got nothing against you showing replays of VERY IMPORTANT royal engagements on TV 24 hours a day if you want...but does it have to be on every channel?! Couldn't you just put the footy on one channel? Please?

By the way, I got the last of the money in from the paintings this week and we managed to raise 617 smackers which is a bloody good effort and will go a very long way out here...so thanks again to everyone, it will make a big difference to the guys and is very much appreciated.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Paul,

    We are back on the net! Great to be able to read your latest updates.

    Shame about the footie, hopefully the King celebrations will end soon.

    See you soon.

    Anna

     

Post a Comment

<< Home